The Tonga Statistics Department (TSD) is Tonga’s principal authority for official statistics.
We collect information from people and organizations through official censuses and surveys. We analyze this information then disseminate to the public. We also provide support for others to use the data.
TSD is a government department with almost 50 staff and two established offices, the main in Tongatapu and the other branch in Vava’u.
The department is closely following the vision and mission of the Tonga Strategy for the Development of Statistics 2019 -2023
- TSDF outcomes are facilitated.
- Improved corporate governance and government efficiency and effectiveness.
- Better and informative organizational decision making; evidence-based decision making is practised.
- Informative debate is developed and practiced / research and learning is encouraged.
- Instructive development of good policies and healthier delivery of effective programmes.
- High quality statistics are provided on timely basis to aid evidence-based decision making, encourage debate and research and aid in the development of good policies.
- Improved advise to organisations / agencies in the collection and compilation of their own data and enhanced support to organizations / agencies in data collection, compilation and analysis.
Government Statistician: Sione Lolohea.
Assistant Government Statistician: Mele Taumoepeau.
The Government Statistician with the staff members of Tonga Statistics Department.